Zuckerberg announces Facebook Shops, making Facebook..easier?
- Mark Zuckerberg, CEO of Facebook has announced Facebook Shops.
- This will make it easier for businesses to list their products on Facebook and Instagram
- You can load up your products to one service and it’s available across their apps
- Zuckerberg humorously states “It’s one simple and consistent experience across this family of apps, which means it is easier for people”, As if we don’t realise he really mean to say “humans” instead of people, but his PR people changed the text last minute
Apple admits that no one actually watches AppleTV+
- Apple TV+ launched to much celebrity onstage awkwardness in 2019
- They pushed original content made purely for the platform, much like Netflix Originals
- After giving it away for free with select Apple product purchases, Apple realise that no one is, in fact watching their crap service, despite the massive ego filled stars having money thrown at them to create “magic”.
- Bloomberg reports that Apple TV+ executives have been taking pitches from Hollywood studios to license their older content for their service.
- No word on when this will eventually trickle down the service itself, but here’s hoping it’s damn soon.
- There are around 5 million users of Apple TV+. That’s cute compared to the 50 million subscribers Disney + has, and the 16 million users Netflix added to their dominance in 2020 alone.
Spotify gives us incentive to switch to Apple Music
- Spotify is hiring Joe Rogan to bring his hugely popular and controversial podcast, The Joe Rogan Experience, to their platform as an exclusive by the end of 2020.
- Joe Rogan is an outspoken podcaster who dips his toes into the controversy more often than not.
- He will move everything over from September 1 this year, including his massive archive of interviews and show.
- Podcasts, which have generally always been freely available on the service of your choosing have generated income by in-show sponsors to help support the creators.
- Twitter users have shown their displeasure of the move, not because of their displeasure of Joe Rogan, but of the fact that a podcast should NOT be exclusive to a platform in any way. He has already made plenty of cash through endorsements, sponsors and YouTube income, he just really needed that new Tesla.
- Spotify switched to including podcasts last year in a strange move that had a lot of users scratching their heads…why exactly would I want my music and podcasts together? Especially when Apple just spent a decade separating them.
- Either way, let’s hope this isn’t a trend that keeps moving. While we all enjoy a good podcast, there are so many of them (this brilliant one included), that if some move behind a paywall, there are plenty that can fill the vacant spot.